Dwelling at Knockybrin, Letterkenny, Co. Donegal
Dwelling at Knockybrin, Letterkenny, Co. Donegal….
Appointment to the Project:
- The Client’s initially approached me regarding an extension to an existing dwelling, advice was given, discussions occurred, following on from that they came to the conclusion that a complete new house on a site they currently owned was the best option. The site had planning permission but they were far from satisfied with the house design. It did not make the most of the site.
The Brief / Constraints:
- Change of House Type Planning Application
- The site was in an elevated position on the side of a hill with fabulous panoramic views, Lough Swilly to the east, far reaching countryside views south towards Griannan an Aileach and west towards Letterkenny. Make the most of the panoramic views and sun. Bright & airy feel, something unique / bespoke, more contemporary, cleaner lines.
- Very specific accommodation requirements: Kit / Din / Liv – Utility – Boot rm / Wc – Sitting rm – Study – Play rm – Lounge – Large Master Suite – 2 Double Bedrooms (1 with en-suite), 1 Twin rm, 1 Single rm, Bathroom, Hot Press, Plenty of storage
- The site was in a very prominent location on the side of an undisturbed hillside, therefore there was a responsibility to create a design that had minimal impact when viewed from a distance.
- Maximum permitted 7 metre ridge height.
- Provide the main living accommodation in a single storey element to the front of the site, angled for maximum aspect. Provide glazing on all sides to frame the views. Provide a middle link behind connecting to a double storey bedroom wing. The single storey element would be the prominent feature which would screen the remainder of the dwelling behind.
Photos of Hillside:
Construction Photos – Foundations:
Block-work to Sub-floor: “taken on a very blustery winter morning”
Construction Photos – Block-work ongoing:
Construction Photos – Completed exterior / interior ongoing:
Construction Photos – Completed:
View of Completed Dwelling on Hillside: