Dwelling “Castleroc” at Kinnegar Beach, Rathmullan, Co. Donegal
Dwelling “Castleroc” at Kinnegar Beach, Rathmullan, Co. Donegal….
Appointment to the Project:
- The Client’s tasked us to create a contemporary dwelling on this beautiful coastal site on the shores of Lough Swilly. The site is literally on the shore side with the waves lapping at the site boundary with fantastic views across the Lough in a north-east direction. The site already contained an existing partially completed dwelling which had remained unfinished for a number of years. It was in a sorry state and of an unusual design, which was entirely wrong for the site. It had no redeeming features so demolition was the obvious course of action.
- Demolition of dwelling
- Create a stunning contemporary dwelling that opened up to the Swilly views…….create drama with interesting spaces, create room volume, make the most of the views, create a connection with the wider garden area, bring shafts of sunlight into the dwelling, provide a canvas for Clients art
- Specific accommodation requirements: Open plan Kit / Din / Liv, Wine room, Cinema room, Study area, Closet, Wc / whb closet, large Master Suite, 4 Double Bedrooms (1 with en-suite and 2 with ‘Jack n Jill’ en-suite), Bathroom, Hot Press / Plant rm, Utility / Laundry Rm, Shower rm, Plenty of closet storage…..Large double Garage with additional bedroom / living space annexe
- Create different interlocking building elements with mono pitched roof detailing.
- Use traditional materials in a contemporary way with simple detailing.
- Provide a covered canopy to part of the patio area, extend the patio area out into the garden on the shore side.
- Give the main rooms within the dwelling prominence to the shore side views.
- Create expanses of glazing with height.
- Provide for volume and drama in the spaces.
- Create a convenient link from garage to dwelling.
Dwelling Drawings – Elevations:
Dwelling Drawings – Plan / Site Layout:
Aerial View of Site: